We love to have family and friends over for dinner fairly often, which means that I get the joy of trying out new recipes fairly often as well. I have learned to love cooking. I always enjoy finding new recipes on Pinterest and have a list of probably 1,000 recipes that I have a desire to try. We had friends over on Friday for dinner and I wanted to cook something new. My hubby grilled some yummy apricot chicken, and I made some yummy macaroni and cheese. My friend Jessica gave me this recipe and it was a huge hit with the adults and children alike. I made a couple of modifications, but the recipe originally came from her, so here it is:
Macaroni and Cheese:
1 box macaroni noodles (I used whole wheat, if you’re GF, you could also use quinoa noodles)
1 stick of butter
1/2 a chopped onion
1/2 cup of flour
2 cups milk (regular or unsweetened almond)
2 (8 oz.) bags of cheese (I used one mild cheddar and one sharp cheddar, but the original recipe calls for pepper jack)
1/4 cup(ish) of Italian breadcrumbs
1. Cook the box of noodles according to the directions.
2. In separate pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until the onion is clear.
3. Turn the heat to med/low and add the flour while whisking.
4. Remove from heat and add the milk and the cheese (add more milk if it’s too thick)
5. Put back onto heat and cook 5 minutes or so to thicken and melt the cheese.
6. Add noodles and cook another 5 minutes.
7. Transfer into a pan (I used a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish)
8. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Spray crumbs with cooking oil very well. (This step was very very messy)
9. Bake on top rack on the Broil setting of the oven for 5 minutes or until brown.
I hope you enjoy as much as we did! There were very few leftovers with this recipe and there were 6 people (ok, 4 and two kiddos).